Children and young people of any age can have difficulties with speech, language and communication.

If you are concerned about your child's speech, language or communication, talk to your Health Visitor or GP.

If your child goes to an early years setting, you can speak to the staff there. If your child is at school, speak to their teacher.

The Children's Speech and Language Therapy Service (also known as SALT) provides assessment, advice and support for people up to age 18.

Information about the Children's Speech and Language Therapy service, support and referral routes.

Southend-on-Sea City Council commission a resource base that provides support for pupils with speech and language disorder or significant language delay. Admissions are agreed by the Speech and Language Resource Base and the Southend Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Team to ensure the right pupils are admitted. Suitable pupils will have an education health and care plan (EHCP) with Speech, Language and Communication as the primary learning difficulty.

Further information about the Speech, Language and Communication Resource Base.