Keep button batteries away from your child

If your child swallows a button battery, it can get stuck in their food pipe. It can burn through the main artery and badly harm or even kill them. This can happen very quickly.

Children aged 6 months to 4 1/2 years are most at risk.

Which batteries are most dangerous?

Lithium coin cell batteries are slightly bigger than a 5 pence piece. They are big enough to get stuck and are strong enough to kill.

Smaller button batteries can still cause harm, especially if they are new.

Where are they?

Your child can find button batteries in things like:

  • small remote controls
  • car key fobs or key finders
  • musical cards and books
  • light-up toys and novelty items
  • nightlights
  • digital scales
  • thermometers
  • old toys in the toy box

Children may also find spare batteries that are stored within reach or have fallen from the pack. Even used 'flat' batteries still hold enough charge to be dangerous.

Check your home

  • hunt around your home for button batteries
  • keep products well out of your child's reach of the battery compartment isn't secured
  • store spare and 'flat' batteries well out of reach
  • beware of bargains from online marketplaces or local discount shops, they may have button batteries your child can get to easily

Has your child swallowed one?

  • don't delay, take them straight to A&E or call 999 for an ambulance
  • tell the doctor you think your child has swallowed a button battery
  • if you have the battery packaging or the product the battery has come out of take it with you
  • don't let them eat or drink and don't make them sick
  • there ay be a few symptoms so trust your instincts