The government have made a guide for disabled passengers. It has advice on travelling by;

The best advice is to plan your journey.

There are websites that can help, such as Disabled Travel Advice.

Special assistance at airports

Special assistance information for London Southend Airport.

Assisted travel information for London Stansted Airport.

Special Assistance information for London Gatwick Airport.

Assistance and accessibility information for Heathrow Airport.

Public transport

You have the right to travel in the same way as others.

There are times when we cannot plan travel. Public transport providers shouldn't refuse help because it wasn't booked in advance. You will get help quicker if you tell them and book assistance where necessary.

In London, many rail stations are accessible. If you turn up at a tube station, you will be helped throughout your journey.

You may be eligible for a disabled person's bus pass. Eligibility criteria and further information, including how to apply for a disabled person's bus pass.

For some, the only option is their own car. This may be due to a medical condition, or it's the most independent and flexible way to travel.


You can lease a car through Motability if you get;

  • Higher rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Enhanced rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Mobility element of the Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement.

You do not have to drive yourself to lease a car. A friend, relative, or a PA/Carer could drive for you. You can have multiple drivers registered on the scheme. Cars can be adapted for people with a variety of disabilities.

Blue badge

The blue badge scheme helps people with disabilities be independent. You can apply for a blue badge online.

Southend City Council have information on the rules for parking with a blue badge. The blue badge is assigned to the individual with the disability.