Vision and Hearing Support Service: Southend-on-Sea
This page has information about the Southend-on-Sea Vision and Hearing Support Service.
The service is made up of the Visual Impairment (VI) Team and the Hearing Loss Team.
Who we are
Paula Holmes - Specialist Teacher for Multisensory Impairment (MSI) and Specialist Teacher of the Deaf (Hearing Loss Team)
Beatrice Iordachi - Advisory Teacher for Visual Impairment (VI)
- Telephone: 01702 212310 / 07745 131818
- Email: BeatriceIordachi@southend.gov.uk or email@example.com
Kerry Lewis - Specialist Teacher of the Deaf (Hearing Loss Team)
- Telephone: 01702 215875
- Email: KerryLewis@southend.gov.uk
Susan Payne - Pre-School Family Support Worker / Signing Instructor (Hearing Loss Team)
- Telephone: 07826 875912
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Angela Hera - Service Manager
- Telephone: 01702 534893
- Email: AngelaHera@southend.gov.uk
What we do
We provide educational advice and support for children and pupils with a sensory impairment who live or go to school in the Southend-on-Sea Local Authority.
Support is given in a variety of settings and is based on individual need.
Provision can include:
- Home-based and pre-school programmes to support children, families and pre-school staff.
- Visits to mainstream and special schools for assessment, advice, monitoring and to work with pupils.
- Recommendations for specialist equipment and resources.
- Environmental audits to ensure optimum access.
- Professional development and training for education personnel.
- Links with other agencies.
- For pupils with a hearing loss: instruction in sign language and in the use and maintenance of hearing aids.
- For pupils with a visual impairment: teaching of Braille or Moon tactile alphabet, touch typing and mobility and independence training.