Separation may involve bad feelings between the parents and their families. Children can pick up on this, which may make them confused or unhappy - or even blame themselves for a break-up.
The NSPCC has great information on how to help children cope with divorce and seperation.
Learn more about parental rights and responsibilities on the UK Government website.
Many organisations can help with specific issues around your separation.
Here are just a few as a starting point:
- CAB - www.citizensadvice.org.uk
- Families Need Fathers - www.fnf.org.uk or call 0300 0300 363
- Family Lives - www.familylives.org.uk or call 0808 800 2222
- Fatherhood Institute - www.fatherhoodinstitute.org
- Gingerbread - www.gingerbread.org.uk or call 0808 802 0925
- Home-Start - www.home-start.org.uk
- National Association of Child Contact Centres - www.naccc.org.uk
- Only Dads - www.onlydads.org
- Only Mums - www.onlymums.org
- Relate - www.relate.org.uk or call 0300 100 1234
- 4Children - www.4children.org.uk