Early Years providers have arrangements in place to support children with Special Educational Needs, disabilities or developmental delays.

How does the setting know if children need extra help?

Providers have regard to the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice and identify a member of staff to act as a SEN co-ordinator. Every child that attends childcare provision will have a named key person to work with and support your child and through observations and assessments of their progress will identify their strengths and any areas of concern. As a parent/carer all information with be shared and discussed with you.

What should I do if I think my child may have Special Educational Needs?

Talk to your childcare provider if you think that your child has Special Educational Needs, or you are concerned about their development. They will work with you to decide what support would best suit your child's needs.

How will the setting support my child?

Regular observations and assessments of your child along with information provided by you as the parent/carer will determine if or what extra support your child need's.

  • Your childcare provider will give you a written summary of your child's progress when they are between two and three years old, and termly written updates.
  • You will also have a chance to discuss your child's progress and any extra support needed and to develop a support plan with your child's key person and the SEN co-ordinator (SENCO).

This plan may include outside agencies such as Early Years SEN Advisors or speech and language support. The plan will be reviewed and agreed with you to see how well it is working. If specialist support is required, this could be through a more formal approach such as an Educational Health and Care Plan (EHCP). Your childcare provider will support you through this process if needed for your child.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's needs?

Providers will consider your child's individual needs, interests and stage of development. They will use this information to plan for your child in all areas of their learning and development. Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates. The curriculum or framework covers the education and care of all children in early years provision, including children with special educational needs and disabilities.

How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child's learning?

Your child will have a named key person to ensure that your child's care and learning is tailored to meet their individual needs. The key person will build relationships with both you and your child. By working closely together with you, the key person will be able to assess your child's progress and determine if additional support is needed.You will be included in any discussions regarding your child and will receive termly progress reports.The key person will support you to continue your child's learning and development at home with e.g., ideas, activities and possibly resources. The key person will also be able to help you engage with more specialist support if appropriate.

What support will there be for my child's overall wellbeing?

Your childcare provider will take all necessary steps to keep children safe and well. Your childcare provider will support your child's learning and development including their welfare and social and emotional wellbeing. Within an inclusive environment which is welcoming and stimulating, your child can feel safe and learn at their own pace.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting?

All childcare providers are supported by the Council's Early Years Development Team and the Early Years SEN Advisors, to deliver high quality learning and development opportunities for your child. Childcare providers work in partnership with outside agencies and specialist services and will be able to support you to access these services appropriate for your child.

What training do staff supporting children with SEND have or are having?

All childcare providers are required to have a SEN co-ordinator in the setting. The SEN Co-ordinator improves overall practice and oversees your child's learning and development together with their key person. All childcare staff are trained and able to support your child within the setting.

The Early Years Development Team work closely with the Early Years SEN Team. Staff in childcare settings are supported in early identification, training, and practice to ensure that all children have a positive experience when attending childcare.

Southend City Council are funding the Certsey Level 3 Certificate for group providers and childminders. This DfE (Department for Education) approved qualification covers all key aspects of the Early Years SEN Co-ordinator roles and responsibilities.

How will my child be included in activities outside this setting including trips?

By regularly discussing your child's needs with your childcare provider they will be able to plan with you for any outside activities which may include trips.

Providers deliver inclusive practice and make reasonable adjustments to ensure all children have equal opportunities including accessing activities inside and outside the setting and any trips.

How are parents involved in the setting. How can I be involved?

Providers work in partnership with parents/carers to support the learning and development of all children in their care. They plan a broad curriculum to include a range of activities and experiences where visitors and volunteers are invited into the setting to support children's learning. This can include parents/carers who feel they have specialisms, knowledge or life experiences that can enrich children's learning. Many settings encourage parents/carers to take part in activities where you can be involved on a part time or regular basis including volunteering to support trips.

How accessible is the setting environment?

All childcare providers have a responsibility to make reasonable adjustments to make their environment accessible and inclusive.Childcare can take place in a few places. Pre-schools are usually run from a church or community halls. Nurseries from their own buildings. Childminders from their own homes. Not all providers are able to offer an environment to match every child's exact needs. When looking for childcare it is suggested that you discuss your child's personal needs with the provider. You can decide what support can be offered and any changes that can be made.

How will the setting prepare and support my child to join the setting or the next stage of education?

Once you have chosen the setting your child may be able to attend a few sessions. They can explore, play, and settle into the new environment before going on a regular basis. These first sessions are often called "settle sessions." At this time, you may be asked to complete some paperwork. This will include information about your child. Your provider will be able to plan for your child's needs from the information. This makes your child's time at the setting fun, where they can learn. Preparations will be put in place and discussed with you as the parent/carer when the time approaches for your child to transition to their next learning environment.

How are the settings resources allocated and matched to children's special educational needs?

Providers offer an inclusive practice. Your child will be able to choose lots of equipment to play with. This will support their learning and development. Sometimes different resources may be needed. These will be chosen in partnership with you as the parent/carer.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

We ask parent/carer to provide information. This will be any observation or assessment of your child's learning and development. We will look to identify the type of support that your child receives. It may show what support your child can get. This could be additional support within the setting or from outside agencies.

I am an Early Years Practitioner