Becoming a childminder
Childminders look after children of all ages in their own home. If you love working with children, it could be the ideal career for you.
Becoming a childminder will allow you to:
- run your own business.
- fit your business around your lifestyle.
- support the children that you care for to grow and develop.
- quality care that meets the needs of families.
- become part of the childcare community in Southend.
You will need the following qualities:
- an understanding of, or a desire to learn, how children learn and develop.
- commitment to professional development by attending on-going training.
- ability to work in partnership with parents/carers and other professional agencies.
- ability to run your own business by keeping good records to ensure its viability.
- Find out more about becoming a childminder as well as tips from those already running a successful childminding business.
- Find out the costs involved in registering.
- Check out this short video about childminding.
Childminder Start Up Grants
Childminders are a vital way to deliver affordable and flexible care and government recognises that we need more of them.
To help people to become childminders, government is introducing a start-up grant scheme, providing £1200 to childminders who choose to register with a childminding agency and £600 to those that register with Ofsted.
Are you thinking about becoming a childminder in Southend?
Come to one of our free sessions. The session will help you decide if childminding is right for you.
- Find out what's involved to register with Ofsted or to register with a childminder agency as a childminder.
- Find out about the EYFS and other training.
- Find out about Southend Council planning advice if you are setting up a childminding business in your home.
To book a session or if you have any questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org