Equipment for daily living

Equipment and adaptations can help you live more independently at home and in your community. For example, if you:

  • find it difficult to conduct daily activities, such as having a bath or shower
  • find it hard going up and down the stairs
  • sometimes feel unsafe in your own home, or you care for someone who does

Whatever you are having difficulty with, there is most likely a piece of equipment or adaptation that can help. Here are just a few examples:

  • bath boards
  • raised toilet seats and commodes
  • grab rails

How to get equipment and home adaptations yourself

You can buy your own equipment from a number of shops locally or online.

Living Made Easy has information on a range of equipment, with guides to help you choose a product. The information and guides on their website are organised in separate categories for "Leisure and play", "Communicating", "At Home", "Health and personal care" and "Access and mobility".

The Carers UK: Equipment page gives general information and advice. You can find impartial guidance about all types of aids and adaptations at Carers UK: AskSARA.

Get help deciding what you need: Occupational Therapy

People with more complex needs may benefit from an assessment from the Occupational Therapy Service. Occupational Therapists help people to modify activities they need or want to do.

An Occupational Therapist can help you find practical solutions to achieve activities such as:

  • personal care such as washing, dressing, and going to the toilet
  • using the stairs
  • accessing your property or the community

If you are offered an assessment at your home. you may also wish to include your family, friends or people who care for you. Following this conversation, we may recommend equipment and technology to remove barriers and help you do the things they want to do.

Solutions could include:

  • minor adaptations such as grab rails or chair/bed raisers
  • mobile or ceiling-mounted hoists
  • major adaptations to your home such as a wet room or ramps
  • moving and handling assessments
  • if you wish to employ an independent occupational therapist please visit the RCOT website
  • if you require an assessment for a walking aid, please contact your GP for a referral to the community physiotherapy team

How to refer for Occupational Therapy (OT)

  • you can self-refer using our online form
  • telephone call to Access team: 01702 215000

More information can be found at: Adult Occupational Therapy Services - Independent living and Occupational Therapy (OT) - Southend-on-Sea City Council

Please note, Southend City Council OT team is unable to assist with:

  • mobility aids
  • mattresses/pressure care

For assistance with these matters, please contact your GP

Equipment Service

If you have equipment on loan from Southend Equipment Service, you can contact them directly with any of the following queries:

  • my equipment is broken or damaged
  • I am moving house
  • the equipment is no longer suitable for me
  • I wish to return my equipment

The Southend Equipment Service contact number is 01702 442133

Building address:

8 The Forum
Coopers Way
Temple Farm Industrial Estate