Eco Wings (Southend)
Day centre for adults aged 19 to 30 years with learning and/or physical disabilities providing life and social skills. The young people can attend between one and five days a week.
Throughout the week the young people build upon their skills in many different areas including: Communication, Independent living skills, Social skills, Horticulture, Arts and crafts and Work Experience.
In the school holidays we also open the doors to people aged 8+. Within the holidays we plan many different activities and trips out. These trip are all designed to meet the needs of all the young people. If your young person does not want to attend the trips, activities are put on at Eco wings. Also a sensory club, cookery club, youth club and evening clubs. Please call Vicki on 01702 334080 for more information. Please note there are charges for this service; please call for details.
Eco Wings is undergoing a number of changes and is increasing its offer to the young people it supports. We are always looking at ways to enhance and enrich the lives of the young people we support whilst creating self-care and independence skills. After discussions with parents/carers and young people we have had some ideas which have now moved from the planning stage to the final stages of completion for the following resources:
- A hydrotherapy pool that will be open to our young people but also other people with an additional needs in the local area.
- A small retail outlet where goods the young people have made will be on sale.
- A Cafe, where the general public can visit and purchase sandwiches/lunches. This will be operated by young people with support where necessary. Young people will be able to achieve qualifications in 'Food Hygiene' at appropriate levels.
- We have identified a number of young people who enjoy working on computers, so we will be offering sessions where young people can learn more about computers and how to rebuild them. We have suitable equipment and qualified trainers and it is hoped the computers they create and repair will go on to benefit local people.
The above will be located in Central Southend and will have full facilities for wheelchair users including ceiling hoists and designated parking
For the future we are looking at:
- Extending some of our services to offering a sandwich style delivery service where young people will deliver food items to local businesses
- For young people to be able to buy-in sessions so that they can gain valuable work experience with a view to opening this opportunity to other providers and education facilities
- Young people have identified that they would like to learn more maintenance skills like painting/decorating at appropriate levels
Who to contact
- Session Information
Monday 09:00 - 15:00; Tuesday 09:00 - 15:00; Wednesday 09:00 - 15:00; Thursday 09:00 - 15:00; Friday 09:00 - 15:00
- All welcome, please call to discuss individual requirements
- 11 years to 30 years
- Local Offer Age Bands
- Needs Level
- SEN Provision Type
This service, organisation or event is listed for your information. With the exception of services offered directly by Southend-on-Sea City Council, inclusion on Livewell Southend does not confer or imply endorsement, approval or recommendation by Southend-on-Sea City Council. The Council can take no responsibility for the quality, reliability or accessibility of the service, organisation or event listed. You should thoroughly check the service or event, and the organisation running it, before deciding to take part or attend.
- Last admin update: 15 Jan 2020
If you'd like to view this content in another format please email firstname.lastname@example.org